Thursday, February 18, 2010

How the love of vintage came to be

Christian Dior did me in, I was hooked. Growing up in a household of 9, we loved estate and garage sales from an early age . While out bee-bopping in my teen years one day I came across an estate sale and something jumped out at me and I HAD TO HAVE IT! At the time, I had no idea what I was looking at except that it was fabulous and was screaming my name! The woman who owned it said it was "vintage" and said I could have it for $15. I also bought a great pair of heels and a few purses, but the main piece that hooked me was the suit.

Get this...It was a Christian Dior 1940's wool suit with shirred chiffon lapel, fitted waist (24") with a little kick at the hip on the blazer. The skirt was straight pencil with a kick-pleat back in a neutral tan color. It fit perfect and was in MINT condition. It wasn't until years later after a house flood I realized how precious that suit was to me. To cry over clothes may seem strange to some, but to see the flood had ruined my fabulous first suit I had ever bought, my prized vintage collection piece was heartbreaking.

Now I can't help but search high and low for more fabulous finds hoping one will dull the pinch in my heart from that one. I've got a few, but none will ever be like my first Christian Dior suit!

No comments: